Art at Sperry Chalet
A resident artist program.
Belton Chalets, Inc. would like to invite an artist to stay at Sperry Chalet in Glacier National Park free of charge, to create art and interact with backcountry visitors. In exchange we would like an original piece of artwork from the artist and for the artist to go on to share the beauty of Glacier National Parkís backcountry as widely as possible.
- To take advantage of Sperry Chalets access to pristine wilderness for use as inspiration and subject matter for artists.
- To share through art the experiences of visiting the backcountry of Glacier National Park; the beauty, emotion, and intrinsic value of an unspoiled wilderness. Especially with those who are not able to visit it personally.
- To improve our guests stay at the chalet through interaction with an artist.
- To improve Sperry Chalet aesthetically by adding original artwork to the rooms and common areas. Artwork may also be used in our business materials; websites, brochures and so forth.
For the 2017 season we would like to encourage painters to apply. We are also curious if any poets or writers can make an interesting proposal. If you have a creative idea for this residency we do welcome proposals for any artistic genre.
The artist must be able to demonstrate a professional commitment to the arts and be currently engaged in creating artistic works. The artists years of experience and curriculum vitae will be used to evaluate their professional commitment.
The artist must be willing and able to live and work for the entire residency in a primitive wilderness setting reached only by trails.
The artists proposed medium, supplies and equipment must be suitable for transportation and use in the Glacier National Park wilderness.
Expectations of the artist
- Create Art. For as many hours of each day as is reasonably possible.
- Share with the public. The artists is expected to interact with chalet guests and backcountry visitors regularly (at least every other day). This may take the form of teaching informal art classes, presentations, lectures, or discussions. These activities will be free of charge to the public.
- Donate one original piece of work to Belton Chalets, Inc. We may choose to display this work, or donate it in turn to Glacier National Park or other appropriate venues. Copies of this work may also be used in our promotional or management materials; (Websites, brochures, name tags, etc.) If the work is displayed, Belton Chalets, Inc. will pick the most suitable location; it may not necessarily remain at Sperry Chalet and could be displayed at any of our business properties or offices.
- Be an ambassador of the arts. Be a positive example of the arts to Park guests, and provide positive examples of Glacier National Park to the community at large.
- Abide by all the rules and regulations governing the use of Glacier National Park. Artists may not remove any native items from the park or use them materially in the creation of art; this includes rocks, wood, flowers and so forth. Your equipment must not mar or disturb any wilderness area and be easily removable. Your work may not be a disturbance to Park visitors or to the wildlife. Please abide by leave no trace wilderness ethics.
Belton Chalets, Inc will provide at no charge a private bedroom and all meals at Sperry Chalet to one artist for up to two weeks during the summer season. 2017 residency dates are August 13 to August 27.
Belton Chalets, Inc. will also provide logistics and material support for a stay in the backcountry. Art supplies and personal duffel will be packed in and out of the chalet.* All meals provided by the chalet kitchen, food comparable to that served to the guests. Emergency communication will be available with our offices.
Sperry Chalet is a primitive facility. There is no electricity, televisions, internet or heat. Cell phone reception is poor. Indoor space is limited. The art studio will be the great outdoors, which the artist is expected to responsibly share with the mosquitos, Park visitors, and other wildlife.
While we do not wish to dictate artistic content, Belton Chalets, Inc. would appreciate if the produced artworks be suitable for all audiences. Because Sperry Chalet serves people of all ages and from all walks of life, nudes or discriminatory artwork, for example, would not be appropriate in this venue.
The Art at Sperry Chalet residency is privately operated and not affiliated with the artist in residence program offered by Glacier National Park.
* Sperry Chalet, being a remote location with only pack animal supply capability, is extremely limited in the amount, weight, and size of freight that can be packed in. Artists that wish to use unusually large or heavy materials and equipment cannot be accepted.
Artists will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Artistic quality and merit.
- The artists experience and commitment to the arts as demonstrated by their curriculum vitae.
- Ability to teach or interact with the public.
- The artists proposed plans to share and display their works and experiences with an audience outside of Glacier National Park.
- The artists proposed medium, supplies and duffel are suitable for pack animal transport and wilderness use.
Applying artists will be evaluated on these five points by the management staff of Belton Chalets, Inc. All our decisions are final. The most suitable artist will be given a telephone interview to further ensure that Belton Chalets, Inc. and the artist have compatible goals. This interview will also provide an opportunity to ask questions of each other and communicate as we embark on this endeavor. Because of the unique and challenging nature of Sperry Chaletís location, communication and good planning is a necessary prelude to any project.
For additional information contact:
Kevin Warrington - Chalet Coordinator
Artists interested in applying for the Art at Sperry Chalet residency should provide us the following information in writing.
- Contact Information
- Your artistic discipline.
- Do you consider yourself an emerging artist or established artist?
- Current curriculum vitae.
- One recommendation.
Please include one written recommendation from a professional in your field or discipline who is familiar with your work.
- Statement of intent.
An essay describing what you hope to achieve from a Sperry Chalet residency. This essay is somewhat open ended but may be used to share your passion, your current projects, your current or past experiences with National Parks and wild areas, or any experience with other residency programs. Information relevant to the goals of our residency program should also be included.
- Appropriate examples of recent work.
Photographs, printed copies, or digital copies (CD or USB drive) are acceptable.
If you would like the materials returned, please include an appropriately sized envelope or package that is self-addressed and stamped.
Successful applicants will also be subject to a telephone interview.
Mail applications to:Belton Chalets, Inc.
Attn: Art at Sperry program
P.O. Box 189
West Glacier, MT 59936
The deadline for 2017 applications is May 1.